How Many Storms Are Predicted for the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season?

How Many Storms Are Predicted for the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released its predictions for the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane season. The good news is that experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020. The not-so-good news is that NOAA is nevertheless predicting a season with above-normal storm activity. The Atlantic hurricane season officially begins June 1st and extends through November 30th.

According to NOAA, there is a 60 percent chance the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season will have above-normal storm activity. There is a 30 percent chance that storm activity will be near-normal and a 10 percent chance it will be below-normal. NOAA is forecasting:

  • 13 – 20 Named Storms (winds of 39 mph or higher)
  • 6 – 10 Hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher)
  • 3 – 5 Major Hurricanes (winds of 111 mph or higher)

Forecasters at Colorado State University are similarly predicting above-normal storm activity in 2021. They estimate a 45 percent chance that at least one major hurricane (Category 3-4-5) will make landfall somewhere along the U.S. east coast (including Florida). The chance of a Gulf Coast landfall (from the Florida Panhandle westward to Brownsville, Texas) is 44 percent.

Note that beginning this year, NOAA is using updated statistics to determine when hurricane seasons are above-, near-, or below-average. Not surprisingly, replacing older data with more recent data caused the season ‘averages’ to up. Before the update, 12 named storms and 6 hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes, was considered an ‘average’ season. Now, an ‘average’ season will produce 14 named storms and 7 hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes. In other words, an ‘average’ season will have more named storms this year than last year.

A lot is made of these annual predictions, but it only takes one storm to make it an active hurricane season for you. Start preparing now with Setnor Byer Insurance & Risk’s Hurricane Season 2021 Checklist. Our team of experienced and responsive professionals can help you find affordable options to protect your home and your business in the event of a hurricane.

Please contact us to discuss affordable options for protecting your personal and business property during the 2021 Hurricane Season.